Reed has been used as a roofcover since thousands of years and its specific natural
proporties have been made use of. The natural reed roof has been turned into a luxury
roofcover because of high maintenance costs, combined with the firerisk as well as by the
official prohibition by the building inspections authorities. Now it is possible to give your
roof too, the nostalgia of a thatched roof with all the advantages and meeting alle requirements
of a modern roofcover with Plastic Thatch.
The different roof forms demanded a special procedure in the manufacture of Plastic Thatch,
and the resolution to create the corresponding structure of surface to make the reed natural-looking demanded the ultimate manufacture of Plastic Thatch as a flexible mat - shingle. Combined
with strict quality control, this resulted in a minimum durability of 30 years. Complete
bleaching does not occur, so that the change in colour in the course of the years corresponds to
the natural patina of reed.
Easy to use
The processing sytem of Plastic Thatch is standing our for its easiness. The grounding consists of
complete roof being cover by wooden plates (19 mm underlayment) then a complete sheeting in steampermeable
PE foil or V13 to which the Plastic Thatch is fixed with stainless steel stapels.
Lead-throughs in the roof, as are necessary for the ventilation of bathrooms for instance,
dormer windows etc. do no represent a ploblem, as Plastic Thatch follows the form of the roof
and corresponds to natural reed in its procession.
A by far quicker thatching of the roof with Plastic Thatch adds to this, as it is rolled in
Plastic Thatch meets the fire risk standards after DIN 4102, part 7 (tested and approved in The Netherlands, Germany).
Our material is certificied in several countries by the official authorities, this means for you that
the fire insurance for Plastic Thatch is calculated as if the roof was covered with tiles.
Advantages of Plastic Thatch
1. A quick wind and waterproof insulation is already given after the installation of
the steampermeable PE foil of a V13 sealing.
2. The physical fatique of the material because of different weather conditions does not
occur, so that the durability as to the conventional roof cover is quaranteed anyway.
3. Damage caused by storm, which make repairs on the roof necessary, hardly occur, nor does
a passer-by gets hurt by falling tiles.
4. The negative influence that the natural reed has on the living climate because of its furhterance
of draught and dust, practically does not exist anymore. Therefore it is also possible to build
rooms into the attic.
5. Damage caused by mould and decay because of mosses and algs will not occur, as they do not
fall on fertile ground.
6. Does not cause allergies and is free of bacteria.
7. The cost-intensive, regular maintenance of a natural reed roof can be waived if Plastic
Thatch is used. Possible damage caused by storm can be removed and repaired quick and easy.
8. Plastic reed is walkable.
9. No additional fire risk and higher insurance rates for you and your neighbours.
10. In combination with the roof construction, Scandinavian standards concerning thermal
insulation can be reached.
Dimensions: 500 * 300 mm
Effective height: 143 mm
Quantity per sq. meter: 20 pcs per sq. meter
Weight: approx. 12 kg. per sq. meter
Wind and rain protection: this product even defies the strongest gails by its quality
Use: starting from a roof inclination of 15 degrees
Grounding: complete wooden underlayment + steampermealble PE
foil ov V13 sealing
Lining: ridge tiles, cement ridge, natural heather of wood
Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or you would like to receive
a product sample. You are welcome to visit our picture gallery of roofs with Plastic Thatch.
We look forward to serving you the best we can.